Since I left my job at Legal Services Corporation last year, I’ve been doing consulting and Interim CIO work in order to get the bills paid while looking for new work, and I’ve decided to make that the full-time gig. I am officially available to help out organizations with technology management and strategy. As always, my preference is to work with organizations that help people and/or the planet. Here are some of the ways that I can do that:
- Act as a CIO: serve as your Chief Technologist on a part-time and/or interim basis. This can be helpful for an org that is either just setting out to implement technology strategy and/or infrastructure, or needs to reassess what they have in place, but doesn’t want to commit to hiring a full-time employee in the role. By working as an embedded contractor, I can get to know a company’s people, processes, and culture in order to provide relevant and effective tech recommendations. I can also work with existing staff to refocus IT attitudes and organizational engagement.
- Assess your Technology Systems: hardware, software, people, and processes. Identify the technology solutions that will meet your mission’s goals and develop a roadmap to work from.
- Perform Business Process Analyses around technology and data use. Determine the key processes that major systems need to support and automate prior to a major system selection or upgrade. CRM (Constituent/Donor Relationship Management), ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning, e.g. Finance, HR, backend automation), DMS (knowledge and information management systems), and AMS (Association Management Software), to name a few.
- Oversee Software Selection Processes: from determining needs, identifying applications and vendors, assessing the systems (RFPs, Demos), and negotiating the contract.
- Mentor Technology Staff and help strategically develop information management and technology support processes in an organization.
- Advise on Information Security, and/or manage a vendor performing an assessment.
- Review, Revise, and Develop IT and Security Policies.
- Manage Technology Projects.
In addition to my broad experience and expertise in nonprofit tech, I have a wide network of experts and consultants to support my work. My resume is here, and my LinkedIn profile is here. And I’m easy to contact as psc here at techcafeteria.com or peterscampbell at Google’s email service.